Dr. Eleftherios Diamandis, LMP’s Chief, Clinical Biochemistry, is one of this year’s recipients of the JJ Berry Smith Doctoral Supervision Award from the University of Toronto which recognizes outstanding performance in the multiple roles associated with doctoral (PhD, EdD, DMA, SJD) supervision.
The annual JJ Berry Smith Supervision Award honours active faculty members who, over a minimum of a fifteen-year period, have demonstrated excellence in supervision at the University of Toronto by:
- inspiring and guiding students to reach excellence in scholarship;
- providing an environment that is supportive and stimulating;
- enabling students to learn the essential methodologies, concepts and cultures of their discipline;
- introducing students to the wider content of the discipline and relevant communities of scholars;
- positioning students for future careers both within and outside academe;
- fostering a strong sense of academic integrity.
Dr. Eleftherios Diamandisis Chief,Clinical Biochemistry at UHN LMP and Mount Sinai Hospital, the Hold’em for Life Chair in Prostate Cancer Biomarkers and Professor & Head, Clinical Biochemistry, in the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto.
His research activities revolve around discovery and validation of cancer biomarkers, proteomics, mass spectrometry and translational research. In his 27 years at the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, he has supervised 38 doctoral students.
Nominators note that Prof. Diamandis’ “… ability to know each of his students seems intuitive and gives him the ability to personally touch his students’ lives allowing not only for growth as a scientist but also for growth as a person.”
Others remarked that Dr. Diamandis “…believes that graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and other associates in his laboratory should be approached as “whole human beings” not just “pairs of working hands…”
Brad Davis, Executive Director, LMP, added his congratulations to Dr. Diamandis and said “he makes us all proud as there is nothing more critical than contributing to our ability to teach and learn. Thank you for making LMP one of the best in the world.”
Leave a Reply